Why do I need to drink water?
This week I have had a bit of a theme at home, if you follow me on instagram you will have seen I replaced my shower head with a shiny new filtered version. I also bought a new alkaline bench top water filter to keep us hydrated with super clean water. The taste and smell of both these water supplies is much more appealing! I will provide some links below for those of you interested in making the switch 🙂
But for now, I’d like to focus on why drinking water is sooooo important (even though it’s still wintery outside). I believe good hydration is as important as healthy eating. Almost all of the body’s systems are impacted by the amount of water we drink, a properly hydrated body = good health! Some of the key benefits of being hydrated include:
- Be less cranky. The brain is around 75% water, as the control centre of the body you literally cannot function without it being able to communicate with the rest of your body. Have you ever noticed when you are dehydrated you have brain fog? Well the opposite of brain fog is a well functioning brain – drink more water to get that!
- Less joint pain. Water helps you maintain an adequate blood volume so that nutrients can move through your blood and into your joints. H20 = softer cartilage = less pain when moving joints.
- Better digestion. Happier elimination. Waste in the body is flushed out in sweat and urine. If you don’t drink enough water, you don’t flush out the waste. Also when your body is properly hydrated, less water will be withdrawn from the colon. Softer poos = happy people!
There are so many other reasons water is good for you – but I won’t bore you with those, just know that it impacts your WHOLE body. Therefore, holistic health starts with water! Here’s a few tips I share with my clients who struggle to get enough water in their day.
- Spice up your water with some herbs or fruits you like. I use lemons or mint if I get bored of plain old water.
- Make it a morning ritual. Before you grab a coffee have at least 2 glasses of water.
- Get a water bottle that you like. Carry it with you everywhere. Drink from it often.
- Replace a cup of tea or coffee with a glass of warm water. It will still warm you up on a cold day.
- Visualise your healthy glowing skin.
I’d love to know how you get more water into your day? Share your ideas below 🙂
As promised :
Link for shower filters
Link for bench top drinking water filter
About Kerryn Nilsson-Linne: Kerryn is the director of West Coast Wellness, where she coaches clients to reduce stress and break the cycle of unhealthy lifestyle habits and addictions. She’s passionate about helping you to discover your healthiest self.